Growing concerns over the impact air pollution levels in the UK are having on our health and the environment, combined with a focus on the impact farming has on natural ecosystems, means reducing emissions from diesel machinery is becoming an increasingly important consideration for farmers.
This year, Northfield Farms adopted Shell GTL Fuel, a cleaner burning alternative to diesel exclusively supplied in the UK by Certas Energy, to power a cleaner and more productive harvest. George Palmer, Assistant Farm Manager at Northfield Farms discussed the results and benefits following the switch:
“After using Shell GTL Fuel supplied by Certas Energy this harvest in a variety of Fendt, New Holland and JCB tractors, we noticed the difference immediately. We previously had problems with water contamination in the tractor fuel tanks but the improved storage and stability of Shell GTL have rectified these issues. We also reduced our AdBlue® usage. The fact we didn’t have to make any changes to our engines or tanks was a huge advantage and it’s great to know that we’re reducing our impact on the environment without affecting our productivity.”
Part of the paraffinic family of fuels, Shell GTL Fuel has been proven to reduce emission levels of harmful pollutants such as nitrogen oxide (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) to immediately improve local air quality, along with many other benefits.
- Easy and cost-effective: As a drop-in replacement for diesel, no modifications are required to existing machinery, vehicles or storage set-ups. This means there are no interruptions to productivity and you don’t need to invest in any expensive upgrades.
- Better working environments: The fuel produces less odour, no smoke and quieter engine noise than conventional diesel, creating a healthier and more pleasant environment for workers spending long days operating machinery.
- Winter grade properties: At low temperatures, the free flow of diesel fuel may be impeded by the blocking of fuel lines and filters by particles. With a high cetane number, Shell GTL Fuel has excellent low temperature performance, with improved cold start - handy in those colder months.
- Store safely for longer: With its reduced risk of bio-contamination resulting in longer life, Shell GTL Fuel has improved storage and stability, again helpful in the winter months when you’re using less fuel.
- Free of toxins and eco-friendly: Free of unwanted components such as sulphur, metals, and aromatics Shell GTL Fuel is non-toxic, biodegradable and less harmful to the environment. Tests have shown that the fuel was undetectable in soil 51 days after being introduced.
- Approved by John Deere and many other OEMs - your farm can benefit from switching to a low emission fuel without any hassle today.
As an immediately available solution that is approved by John Deere and many other OEMs, farms can benefit from switching to a low emission fuel today.
To find out more about our full range of fuel supply and management solutions for your farm, visit our agriculture page or request a GTL follow up call from your local Certas Energy representative.