• what information Certas Energy UK Limited (“Certas Energy”) collects from you and why;
• how Certas Energy uses and protects any information that you give; and
• how you can access and manage your information.
Certas Energy is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified, you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Certas Energy may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1 May 2018.
If you have any questions about this policy or more generally about our use of your personal information, you may contact us by writing to us at Data Protection, Certas Energy UK Limited, 302 Bridgewater Place, Birchwood, Warrington WA3 6XG, emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
data or phoning your local Certas Energy contact centre at any time.
This policy replaces all previous versions and is correct as of 1 May 2018. We reserve the right to change the policy at any time.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
• job title
• contact information including email address
• other relevant personal information (e.g. date of birth)
• electronic identifiers (e.g. IP addresses)
• demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
• other information relevant to customer offers and/or surveys
• in the case of job applicants, CVs and references relevant to the role that you are applying for
Ordinarily we will be the party collecting your information directly from you. However, there may be situations where this information is obtained by us from third parties. Examples of this would include:
• from a third party data profiling company, where you have given your consent for that company to pass such information on to us
• in the case of job applicants, from a third party recruitment agency
• from publically available sources (e.g. the electoral roll)
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service. In particular, we require it for the following reasons:
• internal record keeping and account management purposes (e.g. verifying your identity and fulfilling orders you place)
• providing you with the product or service you have requested from us
• monitoring, recording and storing telephone or email communications for the purpose of internal training, audit and compliance checking, to improve the quality of our customer service and in order to meet any legal and regulatory requirements
• improving our products and services
• contacting you by email, SMS, phone or mail for the purpose of account administration and/or processing and fulfilling orders and/or taking payment for such orders
• customising our website according to your interests
• reviewing your job application for roles with us and potentially offering you employment as a result of that review
• contacting you on the grounds of us having a legitimate interest to do so, if you are a current customer, to periodically send promotional mails or contact you by telephone about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the contact details which you have provided
• where you give us your consent to do so, we may
o periodically send promotional emails or SMS messages about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the contact details which you have provided
o use your information to contact you for market research purposes
o enrol you on our Cold Weather Priority (CWP) scheme and record this on our system
In order to utilise your personal information, as set out about, we may allow third parties to process your personal information on our behalf. This is likely to be the case where, for example we:
• contract with a third party engineer or haulage company to provide our services to you
• request a third party data profiling company to establish trends and other buying/profile information
• in the case of our Cold Weather Priority (CWP) customers, if you consent we may share your personal information with your local fire service for the purpose of them arranging and carrying out risk assessments
Where we share personal information for these purposes, we put in place controls to ensure that your personal information is only used for the purpose for which we’re sharing it (e.g. to install a new oil storage tank for you). Where we want to allow third parties to process or control your personal information for reasons other than those set out above, we will inform you of this and, if necessary, seek your consent to share such information with them.
Where we have asked for your consent to use your personal information for a particular purpose, this consent may be withdrawn by you at any time. Similarly, where we are using your personal information to fulfil a legitimate interest of ours, you may have a right to object to your personal information being used for a particular purpose (e.g. for direct marketing). Please see the section entitled ‘Controlling your personal information’ below.
If you contact us or we contact you, we may ask for certain information from you to confirm your identity, check our records and deal with your account efficiently and correctly.
We aim to protect all of our customers from fraud. As part of this, we may use your personal information to verify your identity to help prevent or detect fraud. These checks may involve your information being disclosed to credit reference agencies, who may keep a record of that information. This is not a credit check and your credit rating will be unaffected.
We use programs such as Google Analytics and Mouseflow.com to help us find out:
• How many people visit our websites
• Which pages and parts of pages are most popular
• How long people spend in each area of the website
• What information people are looking for
These insights help us understand what customers want from our website and, consequently, how we can improve the website in the future.
• Browser types
• Operating systems
• Third party sites that direct you to us
• The time and date of a visit
Mouseflow.com generates screenshots and videos which enable us to view how individuals have used our website. This will also generally involve non-personally identifiable information.
What lawful basis we process your information on
Our lawful bases for processing your personal information are as follows: