Every device that burns fossil fuels - coal, wood, gas or oil - runs the risk of also generating Carbon Monoxide where some of the fuel isn't being burned properly.
Known as 'the silent killer', Carbon Monoxide can't be seen, smelled or tasted; meaning that you won't be aware of its presence until it's too late. In worst-case scenarios, that can mean simply falling asleep and never waking up again, which happens to an average of seven people in the UK every year; though low exposures over time can also lead to very serious illness including brain damage.
The Importance of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
- Carbon Monoxide (CO) is known as the silent killer, around 30 people die each year from CO poisoning.
- CO poisoning can lead to lasting neurological damage.
- CO is absorbed by the blood 240 times more easily than oxygen and starves the body of oxygen.
- Children are at greater risk; the smaller the victim the more quickly the body can be overcome by the effects of CO.
- Almost 50% of people don't know what the warning signs of CO poisoning are.
- Carbon monoxide can seep into your property via shared flues and chimneys.
- Only 32% of retired people have their gas appliances checked regularly by a professional.
That's why, in addition to regular servicing of your boiler, we strongly recommend that you have a CO Alarm fitted, to alert you to any risk of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. After all, even if your boiler is burning properly, CO can seep into your property through shared flues and chimneys.
We want to keep all of our customers safe, all the time. So following the recent Carbon Monoxide Awareness Campaign we are now able to supply you with a CE-approved Carbon Monoxide detector, as recommended by the government, the HSE and OFTEC. For more information call us on 03457 620620 or e-mail us at email@example.com.